The inaugural TEDxVictoriaIsland event is scheduled for Friday 12th October 2012 at Federal Palace Hotel External Ballroom, Victoria Island, Lagos. This event is free via online registration at www.tedxvictoriaisland.org to the first one thousand attendees. From 10.00am to 10.00pm visitors will be treated to an expo and a series of talks by influential speakers.
Hosted by Femi Akinde, a 2011 TED Fellow and Zainab Balogun, TEDxVictoriaIsland is
based on the theme ‘The future is us’ and uses the following four subcategories:
- Teach the Future: Disruptive innovations in educating us.
- Reach the Future: Disruptive innovations in communicating with us.
- Feed the Future: Disruptive innovations in feeding us.
- Rock the Future: Disruptive innovations in making our lives better.
With a showcase of 22 diverse speakers and titled talks such as ‘From cows to cannabis’ and ‘How to build
a sports car in your backyard’, this event promises to be both informative and entertaining with performances provided by;
- Tope Sadiq and the Freedom Hall Band.
Confirmed speakers include the likes of;
- Vera Songwe, World Bank Country Director for Senegal, Cape Verde, Guinea.
- Obi Asika, CEO of Storm 360.
- Mitchell Elegbe, MD/CEO of Interswitch Nigeria Limited.
- Dr. Ola Orekunrin, 2012 TED Fellow and Founder of Flying Doctors.
This event seeks to:
1. Provide a platform for innovators to share their ideas.
2. Provide an audience of influencers to amplify those ideas.
3. Showcase the latest innovations through product launches by;
- Wild Sharwarma
TEDxVictoriaIsland is a local, independently organized event that strives to re-create the unique experience found at TED, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers congregate to share what they are most passionate about. The fundamental goal of TED and TEDxVictoriaIsland is to spread ideas and advance the discourse on innovation and creativity. We aim to provide a platform where the smartest thinkers,
greatest visionaries and most fascinating teachers will not only inspire others, but also be filled with a similar sense of wonder and urgency to shape the future.
To register to attend, visit www.tedxvictoriaisland.org